Book Review: Maggie Rowe on how she escaped from evangelical hell

THE GUARDIAN
By Kim Kelly
‘I did not want to see a traditional therapist because I figured they would try to dissuade me from a belief in hell, that they’d tell me the whole thing was a fairytale.’ Photograph: Douglas Sacha/Getty Images
UNITED KINGDOM---Maggie Rowe’s dark, funny new memoir, Sin Bravely (subtitle: My Great Escape From Evangelical Hell), opens under the watchful gaze of a shifty-eyed Jesus. Rowe was filled with doubt, even as she awaited her admittance into Grace Point Evangelical Psychiatric Institute – a last-ditch effort to curb the obsessively pious Born Again Christian’s all-consuming worries about going to hell. Raised in the Evangelical Christian church, Rowe was always a believer. The book’s biggest breakthrough moment comes near the end, when the center’s no-nonsense Dr Galvade diagnoses Rowe with a very specific kind of obsessive-compulsive disorder. [link]