During Lent, a Christian tried praying 5 times a day

RELIGION NEWS
By
Muslim women bow during evening prayer at the National Mosque in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on the first day of the month of Ramadan on June 6, 2016. RNS photo by Alexandra Radu
While working in the Muslim community the past few years, I’ve grown to question why, as a Christian, I don’t pray more often. For my Muslim friends, their five daily prayers, or salat, are about ritual and commitment, not about asking for specific things or finding comfort in difficult times. But for me, prayer is very often something I stumble into when I’m upset, happy, worried, aggravated or in need of a deep breath and regrounding. So for Lent this year, I took a page from their (holy) book and prayed five times each day. This experience has made me more aware of my relationship with God throughout my day. [More]

Within these time frames, this was my daily schedule:

  • Between 5:27 a.m. and sunrise: Daily Morning Prayer Rite One, BCP (an app on my phone changes the psalms and chapters so I don’t have to manually select them).
  • 12:20 p.m. until 3:30 p.m.: Noonday prayer, BCP.
  • 3:30 p.m. until 6 p.m.: Recite the Great Litany, BCP.
  • 6 p.m. until 7:15 p.m.: Evening Prayer Rite Two, BCP.
  • 7:15 p.m. until I go to bed: I read a Compline, either the New Zealand version or one on my app.