Philadelphia Art Museum exhibit puts Jewish Face on Rembrandt

JEWISH COMMUNITY VOICE
By Nelly Toll
"Jewish Bride" by Rembrandt
PENNSYLVANIA - I remember how overwhelmed I was years ago, when as a young teenager, living in Amsterdam, I first saw Rembrandt masterpieces in the Rijksmuseum. (In his lifetime, he painted over 600 paintings, 200 drawings, and 300 etchings). I found particularly his “Jewish Bride,” its title subject to many interpretations, so compelling that I returned three more times. At the present time, the Philadelphia Museum of Art is holding a brilliant exhibition, “Rembrandt and the Face of Jesus,” which I highly recommend. It will remain on view until Oct. 30. Choosing to live in the Jewish quarter, where many occupants were painters, Christians and Jews, Rembrandt purchased a threestory home on Jodenbreestraat 4 (“Jewish Street”) in Amsterdam and used many of his Jewish neighbors as models. [link]

Comments

Popular Posts