INSPIRE ME! Artist, Niccolo Cosme

"My fascination with christian iconography 
started very early. I found myself drawn to the image of the 
Mater Dolorosa, a mother in tears...."
By Ernest Disney-Britton

I am absolutely nuts about this artist! I follow him on Twitter (You should too). I even sent a board member to his NYC show this past August. His conceptual photograph, "The Matriarch" has been my favorite Christmas image for two years running, and his creative talent is overshadowed only by his welcoming spirit and giving personality. Like me, he's also an activist who uses Religious Art to fight injustice and to inspire compassion. Following his art opening in NYC of "Resplendor," one reviewer described it as "a mass-like feel" and following his San Francisco opening another wrote of transforming pain. Since attending his exhibition, our board member, Billy Innabnit has been after me to feature him as an A&O INSPIRE ME! Artist of Month. I am honored to introduce you to Filipino conceptual photographer Niccolo Cosme.
Self Portrait of the Artist (2012)
#1. What is your faith tradition, and where did you develop into an artist who dares to explore/engage religion? I was born and raised Catholic. I practically grew up in the church. I was an altar boy, choir member, church theatre member, my whole life practically evolved around the church, around the passion of Christ which I found very dramatic, overwhelming and very theatrical. My fascination with christian iconography started very early. I found myself drawn to the image of the Mater Dolorosa (top of page: 2010), a mother in tears. She is either looking up or looking down. Her hands are clasped together and she has a dagger pierced through her chest (the others have 7 daggers piercing her heart). Her mouth is slightly open and you can see her teeth and a resplendor (halo) made of brass or silver surrounding her face. This, I found so beautiful and so meaningful it moves me still. So i think it is in this exhibition of heightened emotions that I am greatly attracted to. It just so happens that I see a lot of myself in these iconography because it played a huge role in my formative years.
"Pieta" (2010) by Niccolo Cosme
#2. How do you describe your art? What style or genre is it? I would describe it as hyper realism taking inspiration from Christian and other religious iconography with a touch of eroticism.
Alden & Louise (2012) by Niccolo Cosme
#3. Have you ever had to defend exploring/engaging religious themes? Fortunately I have not really had any overwhelming criticisms towards my works being erotic with touches of Christian iconography, in fact I had received several awards and a lot of different opportunities from having this particular style. Some of my works were even used by the De La Salle University a Catholic University during their 100 years celebration. If there are criticisms about my works, well it has not reached me yet. I would love to hear them though, it would be advantageous to my learning process as an artist. Often times I say in referring to creating conceptual art, you need to satisfy yourself first before you can satisfy others, and for me visual art should be sensual, it should be able to touch and tickle those who view it.
"Alone: Cross" (2010) by Niccolo Cosme
#4. What do your collectors say about your work? Most of them tell me that they can feel my pain in my artwork. It speaks to them. That is why they were drawn into keeping a piece or two. I think it is with pain that I can definitely connect with my viewers most especially those who have gone through a lot of struggles and pain. For most of them, it has also become therapeutic. I think it is powerful when your art becomes more than just an art, but a medium, a source of strength for them.
"Paradise" (2011) by Niccolo Cosme
#5. Who would you like to collect your work, and why? I definitely like to keep a personal connection with those who keep my artworks around the globe. It makes me feel alive and relevant as an artist. And keeping this connection with them is integral to my learning process as an artist.
Detail of "San Sebastian" (2012) by Niccolo Cosme
#6. What other artists have influenced your style? Artists Pierre et Gilles came in my life when I was in my early 20's. I stumbled upon their works at my best friend's studio who is also a photographer. He has a book showcasing the different works of Pierre et Gilles, and I was completely amazed and inspired. I thought to myself, these guys are geniuses! Creating works like that during the time when photoshop was not even a spark of reality. They were able to present eroticism, social commentary, and sometimes political views together with Christian iconography in a whole new level of consciousness. It offended a part of me but at the same time I was aroused so I guess it was really something else.
"Jesus" by Pierre et Gilles
#7. How can A&O members collect your work? Several of my works are available in the United States. Interested individuals may contact me via email at niccolo.cosme(at)gmail.com and may also check my website at www.niccolo-cosme.com.