Blood Raises Questions of Spirit in Museum of Contemporary Religious Art

COLUMBIA FAITH & VALUES
By Kellie Kotraba
MISSOURI---When I walked into the Museum of Contemporary Religious Art in St. Louis for the Blood\Spirit exhibit, I expected to be disturbed. Or uncertain. Or something other than amazed. After all, the works in the exhibit were made from animal blood – what could they be, other than strange? “That’s a lot of blood,” I said, pausing in the entrance to the museum gallery with David Brinker, the assistant director at the museum. Yet something about it drew me in. It wasn't gruesome, nor gratuitous at all. The meaning of it all suddenly struck me – yet at the same time, I didn't know what it meant. But it was rich. Powerful. Profound. That's how artist Jordan Eagles means it to be. [link]