RELIGIOUS ART | NEWS OF WEEK

ALPHA OMEGA ARTS 
By TAHLIB
While receiving artworks for our upcoming exhibition exploring "Religious Risk", one artist asserted they did not have a written statement to explain their work. Why not? "I am an Atheist," they responded, and that absence makes Neha Choksi's “Iceboat” (above) my NEWS OF WEEK. Dressed in the white of a pilgrim, she is videotaped rowing across water in a melting boat of ice. It made me think of atheism, a subject Oprah explored with swimmer Diana Nyad; and Bill Maher celebrated with scientist Richard Dawkins; but what is absence? Choksi is not the artist who dropped off the artwork this week, but in a world where atheists, skeptics and non-believers want to be seen as both different and acceptable, she does help frame the question of what is gained or lost by melting away?

In other religious art news from across the USA, and around the world:
It's more than Art. It's Religion. We are believers (and skeptics too), united in the search for human meaning through art from the religious imagination. We believe in the artists and craftsman who dare to explore religious themes through their creativity. When you believe, you join other believers. Some of us join as voting members of the A&O Society; others support the A&O Prize - Youth Scholarships as donors; and most subscribe to this "free" weekly newsletter (or follow on: TumblrTwitter, Facebook or Soundcloud). All are welcome. 


Comments

I personally feel, a believer or not, we all have a believe system that is directly related to our connection to the Universe! I feel the artist response really was a cop out!
I am profoundly moved by this idea of absence of self, and the connection between atheism as a "me-focused" movement versus religions as a "we-focused" movement. I marvel at this idea of rowing inside a melting iceboat. One day, I hope to see the video.
Sarah Adams said…
I respectfully disagree with Ernest. I don't see atheism as "me-focused" or the faithful as "we-focused". In fact, you could make an argument for the opposite! I have several atheistic friends who are very involved in community as their link to the world and many faithful friends who focus inward or only with those who believe like them.

Very interesting melting boat art experience!
Disagreement is good, especially when it causes us to think even more deeply about why we believe what we believe. Like you, I have atheist friends who are community-focused and religious friends who are "me" focused. What I also have is a list of four religious movement founders who started their movements for the benefit of "we" the community: Buddha, Mohammed, Moses, and Jesus; but I can't list one founder of an atheist movement whose message was about "we" instead of personal freedom and individualism. I have a long list of atheists who did good things, but I'd love to have a list of 4 atheist founders who lead movements designed to improve society, versus individuals. Even without the list though, I'm not sure that being focused on "me" is bad vs. "we" as being good. It's just a way to see the difference, and not to judge it.

Popular Posts