Jewish Museum in Berlin explores women's head coverings

HARRATZ
By David Green
"Sheitels (that’s Yiddish for wigs)" by Ruth Schreiber at the Jewish Museum in Berlin. Courtesy of the artist
BERLIN---I was waiting in the airport security line for my flight to Berlin when up ahead of me I saw what I assumed was a woman, covered head to toe, save for a slit in her veil exposing her eyes. Was she Jewish? Maybe so. But if there’s one thing I took away from “Cherchez la Femme: Wig, Burqa, Wimple,” a new exhibition I happened upon the next day at the Jewish Museum in Berlin, it’s that women can have many different reasons for covering up, some of which are a sign of empowerment, not submission – at least not to other people. “Cherchez la Femme” (on through July 2) examines the subject of women’s head coverings throughout Jewish, Muslim and Christian history, with the emphasis on current practice. [link]
"Soyunma, Undressing" (2006), video art by Nilbar Gures, at the Jewish Museum show. Courtesy of Nilbar Gures, Rampa Istanbul/Jewish Museum, Berlin 
"The Lottery of Indecency," by a French artist who calls herself "La Sauvage Jaune," on display at “Cherchez la Femme: Wig, Burqa, Wimple,” at Berlin's Jewish Museum.LaSauvageJaune