Ancient tiny church in western England a keeper of history

SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE
By Jerry Harmer, Associated Press
This May 23, 2017 photo shows a painting of six of Christ's Apostles, on the wall of the chancel of St Mary's Church in Kempley, Gloucestershire, western England. The tiny church dates back to around 1130 AD and boasts some of the finest and most complete medieval wall paintings in northern Europe. They were whitewashed during religious turmoil under Henry VIII and were only rediscovered hundreds of years later.
KEMPLEY, England (AP) — I'm lost in a world of hedges. The narrow lanes crowd in. I drive ever slower, looking for a signpost. Just as I think I'm lost, a squat, square tower and a weather vane peep above the greenery. St. Mary's Church, in Kempley, in Gloucestershire, western England, is a hidden gem. The hidden, I've realized. The gem I'm about to discover. I push open the door and the first thing I notice is how cool it is inside. Then I freeze. But it's nothing to do with the temperature. Painted on the bare, stone wall opposite is a large circular pattern. It's so unexpected that for a second I wonder if it's graffiti. [More]