INSPIRE ME! Artist of the Month, Jeffrey Augustine Songco

ALPHA OMEGA ARTS

"I was an altar boy at my hometown church."
 ~ JEFFREY AUGUSTINE SONGCO
Jeffrey Augustine Songco at work in his dining room, serving as studio work space. 
We stumbled upon the work of Jeffrey Augustine Songco during our annual trip to ArtPrize in Grand Rapids, MI. He is one of this year's final nine winners of ArtPrize Nine, and we're excited about how his minimalist approach stirs the religious imagination. What strikes us most is his use of colors and his frequent choice of communion wafers as a medium, in colors, and in glitter. His design and Catholic backgrounds come together in his explorations of religious subject matter, but he is also influenced by color field artists such as Mark Rothko and Bruce Nauman. On Oct 12, 2017, he reached out to us, and we think you'll enjoy his story below:
ArtPrize 2017 Installation Winner: "Society of 23's Locker Dressing Room" by Jeffrey Augustine Songco
Hello Ernest and Gregory!

My name is Jeffrey (@jeffysf) and I'm so excited to introduce myself. Our digital spaces crossed recently and it's a pleasure for me to learn about you and your passion for art and faith. Thank you for including 'Society of 23's Locker Dressing Room' on your site — I really appreciate it! I would love to have a conversation, perhaps a video chat sometime? I think we could have a really wonderful exchange of ideas! But I thought I'd introduce myself by answering some of the questions you posed on your website. I provide links to my work in the answers.
"GayGayGay robe" by Jeffrey Augustine Songco

1. Where and when were you born, and what is your artistic training?

I was born in New Jersey, 1983 to devout Catholic, Filipino-immigrant parents. I started training in classical ballet at the age of 6, with training in tap, jazz, viola, and voice as well. I made my professional acting debut at age 10 in Paper Mill Playhouse's 'South Pacific'. I was an altar boy at my hometown church. I sang in school choirs, and even sang in regional and national choirs. I switched from the performing arts to the visual arts in college. I received my BFA in Art in 2005 from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, PA. I lived in NYC for three years before heading out to San Francisco for grad school. I received my MFA in Art in 2011 from the San Francisco Art Institute.
"Flag" (2017) by Jeffrey Augustine Sognco. Communion wafers covered in glitter, cotton, brass. 14.5” x 36” x .5”.
2. Which religious tradition has informed your artwork, and how?

Catholicism has informed my artwork. The rituals and traditions, the opulence, the controversy. It was an incredibly normal part of my life, so it has more weight as a representation of 'family' than 'religion' for me. As I got older, I learned about other religions, including Judaism (my hometown and public school had one of the higher populations of Jews in the country). Later in life I learned about Yoga, so that practice entered my artwork, too. My negotiation between Homosexuality and Catholicism has been a primary part of my artwork for several years now. All my work has some religious component, but some to highlight maybe be: 'Nice Body, Bro!', 'GayGayGay robe', 'Peace Poles', 'God Bless (Miss) America', 'Hosanna', 'Confessional', 'Fantasies', 'Wafers', 'Debauchery', 'Flag', and 'Society of 23's Locker Dressing Room'.
Word art by Jeffrey Augustine Songco
3. Have you ever had to defend exploring religious ideas?

No, I can't remember a time when it was brought up to be defended. I think people are interested in my perspective as a gay man, and how it relates to faith and Catholicism. The history of art inextricably linked to the history of religion, that it makes perfect sense to me, which is something I must project when exhibiting artwork. I also find myself continuing the lineage of gay male artists working with religious subject matter, including Andy Warhol and Felix Gonzalez-Torres.
"Abraham and Issac" by Jeffrey Augustine Songco
4. What challenges have you faced in creating religious-themed works? (e.g., race, class, gender and sexuality)

My personal challenge is diving into Christianity as such a controversial issue today. Unless artwork represents literal Biblical scenes, my art may appear offensive. And as a gay man, I'm challenged by others if I still believe. I question my beliefs everyday, but I know I was raised Catholic and learned early to believe in Jesus Christ. Along the same lines of biblical scenes — when I create artwork that is religious but refrains from popular cliches of Christianity, I think some of my messages are lost on the viewer. I like playing with symbols and material, so sometimes the symbols and materials I choose are unfamiliar to those unfamiliar with Christianity, so the message gets a bit muddy.


Earlier I mentioned that religion was linked to family. When I explore my faith, I think one challenge I face is that I'm confusing that with exploring my family. My relationship to my family has always been a mystery, and so I think I'm investing time to understand my family through the symbols of the Catholic Church.
"Nice Body, Bro!" by Jeffrey Augustine Songco

5. Who are your favorites artists, and whose work is in your own collection?

Andy Warhol, Felix Gonzalez-Torres, Andres Serrano, Matthew Barney, Lorna Simpson, Kara Walker, Cindy Sherman, Bruce Nauman, Santiago Sierra, Mark Rothko. I don't [own] anything from those artists. I wish! I own a great photograph by a local Grand Rapids artist who I met last year named Brandon Lake. It's really my first art purchase.
"Untitled (Portrait of Ross in L.A.)" (1991) by Felix Gonzalez-Torres. Courtesy of greg.org
6. Who collects your work, and why?

Friends and family who support my work. I haven't broken out into the market yet. Help? :)

"Communion Wafers" by Jeffrey Augustine Songco
7. Where can AOA collectors experience your work this year?

ArtPrize has ended, and that was my last exhibition opportunity. I am having a difficult time finding exhibition opportunities for myself. Know anyone interested in exhibiting my artwork? That's all for now! I hope we can connect sometime soon.
--
Jeffrey Augustine Songco
http://songco.org

Hi Ernest!

Thanks for writing and selecting these images. They're great! And thanks for including me in a future post — It sounds wonderful!

Attached is an image of me working. My studio practice is not as typical as a studio with art things everywhere. I work wherever I can, and usually that's my dining room. So, here is an image of me at work (attached). In the photo, I am creating the mesh bags that hang in the Society of 23's Locker Dressing room, specifically putting the letters on the mesh. I hope that works for you! Otherwise, I need to take some new glamour shots! ;)

I'm so glad you both had the chance to experience the installation. Thank you for the kind words!

Hope you're having a great weekend.

Jeffrey

--
Jeffrey Augustine Songco
http://songco.org