Meet Tasha Jones, A&O Prize Honoree for Literary Arts 2013

ALPHA OMEGA ARTS
By TAHLIB

INDIANA---Ms. Tasha Jones is one of the first three literary artist honorees to receive the A&O Prize; and on Saturday, November 9 at 2:00 p.m. she will be honored at Indiana Interchurch Center, 1100 W. 42nd Street in Indianapolis. Jones is a current Creative Renewal Arts Fellow, as awarded by the Arts Council of Indianapolis, and in the words of her nominator/and mentee: "She is a rare and wonderful spoken-word artist." She has the soul of a Nikki Giovanni draped in the haute couture fashions of a runway model. Her work speaks to her dichotomy, to the easy equilibrium she has found between being a student of life and a teacher of lessons. On stage she tells the story of her life and in doing so tells the story of all women; a story of love, loss and life. She offers a perspective, poignancy and insight in her writing that allows men to see themselves through her work and women to see themselves in her work. During a recent TedX presentation in Indianapolis, she proved herself to be simultaneously what women are and what they aspire to be.

You can thank Tasha, and the other artists for taking a risk with religious imagination, by making a gift to the Alpha Omega Prize: Artist Fund via power2give.org. 

Thank you for thinking of me, I am honored. Although, I do believe in a higher power I am no expert on the subject. I am open to and for what has extended and deepened an unshakeable hope in me. I am standing on the answers below as my unapologetic opinion! 

1. What is your experience with 'risks' relating to religious interaction?

I will attest to "the risks" relating to religious interaction or religious anything, it becomes 'religious!' Not in the sense of relating to or believing in but in the compelling sense of superiority. A sort of classism or bigotry can form unconsciously or consciously, which in turn could annihilate the very things and/or foundation being built upon. 

2. How have you chosen to use or not to use religion to overcome life challenges?

As before stated, my beliefs have helped to secure an undeniable hope and an unshakeable faith in a power outside of my self to see the world from a different view. I accept the harmony in all things and am becoming keenly aware of when I am out of harmony. I make a conscious effort to be forgiven (for being off course) because I know me being off course can directly affect the people, places, and things around me or within my reach. These lessons have taught me to align myself accordingly and proceed on the mission of continual learning and growth. Written work forthcoming... 

Links with more information on Ms. Tasha Jones: