Mormon artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of faith, prayer helped him find success

DESERET NEWS
By Trent Toone
Artist J. Kirk Richards works in his studio in Woodland Hills Wednesday, April 15, 2015. (Chelsey Allder, Deseret News)
UTAH---It’s taken more than a decade of leaps of faith, frugal living, earnest prayer and hard work, but things are working out for artist J. Kirk Richards. The soon-to-be 39-year-old Provo native and member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has quietly and steadily carved out a full-time art career despite being a one-time college dropout, having long stretches when his work didn’t sell and focusing on Christian imagery, a subject some in the art world don’t find interesting. [link]

“I kept falling back on my patriarchal blessing (which mentioned nothing about being an artist) but promised if I produced where I had the opportunity to produce, doors would be opened to do what I wanted to do.”