New Diversity Museum? Ethnicity or Spirituality

AOA NEWS
By Ernest O. Britton

When I read this week about a diversity museum proposal for the Smithsonian, I couldn't help but be skeptical of the chances but also about the need. So, I asked a former colleaque and museum expert Dr. Spencer Crew who responded, "The museum is an interesting idea, but I think it actually coming to fruition is a long way away if at all. The African American museum is in process now and I think a Hispanic museum is next in line. It took nearly twenty years for the African American museum to actually get started and may take nearly as long for the Hispanic. A diversity museum will take even longer to have happen. It will be interesting to see what kind of momentum it builds, especially at a time when the federal government and Congress are in a cutting budget mode." If there will be another diversity museum in the USA, and I assume there will be, why not one that examines our religious diversity? In a nation where religious freedom is listed in the Constitution what could be more American?

Comments

Popular Posts