Rev. Kittredge Cherry's Top 10 LGBT Religious Art Stories of 2012

ALPHA OMEGA ARTS
By Tahlib
“They Shelter in a Cave” by José Benlliure y Gil, 1926 (Wikimedia Commons)
I am a big fan of list-making, and this list is certainly one that will get peoples attention--religious, gay and artistic all in one. The following is Rev. Kittredge Cherry's Top 10 "LGBT spiritual arts story for 2012," from her Gay Christian blog, "Jesus in Love."
  1. Gay Passion of Christ, 24 paintings by Douglas Blanchard
  2. Marriage Made in Heaven” by cartoonist Mr. Fish of ClownCrack.com, also known as Dwayne Booth.
  3. Saints Sergius and Bacchus: Male couple martyred in ancient Rome 
  4. Gay centurion: Jesus heals a soldier’s boyfriend in the Bible
  5. Jemima Wilkinson: Queer preacher reborn in 1776 as “Publick Universal Friend”
  6. "Corpus Christi,” a play about a gay Jesus by Terrence McNally
  7. "Adam & Steve, and the Bananna Tree" by Tony De Carlo 
  8. Ash Wednesday: A day to recall queers executed for sodomy
  9. Joan of Arc: Cross-dressing warrior-saint
  10. Francis of Assisi’s queer side revealed by historical evidence

Comments

Thank you and for this and all the other valuable work you do reporting on religious art news. I like the way you summarized my Top 10 list, and I will tell all my friends about it.
I first came across Blanchards work on your blog a couple of years ago, and wow! I am so in awe of all you have gathered. Thank you for your comment and support, and let me offer the same. I am a big fan of the work you do on the blog but also of the work being done throughout the MCC community.
Many thanks for your support, Ernest. I’m happy to say that Doug has enthusiastically agreed to let me run his Passion series again this Holy Week on the Jesus in Love Blog.

Obviously you have ways of finding what’s new on my blog, but I don’t see you on the list to get my Jesus in Love monthly e-newsletter. I’d love to give free subscriptions to you and readers of Alpha Omega Arts. Here is a link to the March issue that came out today. The top story introduces the work of Ria Brodell, a talented new queer artist working with religious imagery and queer historical figures.

You can use the “join our mailing list” box in this sample newsletter.
http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs108/1101861384821/archive/1112560249848.html
Top 10 Art said…
i really enjoy this site cause its worth with the usefull info..thank dear
Thank you. It's a pleasure to work on every day.
Top 10 Art said…
I really like your blog, keep it up!

Popular Posts