RELIGIOUS ART | NEWS OF WEEK

ALPHA OMEGA ARTS
By TAHLIB
Yesterday, a friend criticized me for not carrying my mobile phone. Why? Nothing urgent, it's just that mobile phones are his "sacred cows." A "sacred cow" is something too highly regarded to be open to question or criticism. The term is an allusion to Hinduism's reverence for cows, thus resulting in their vegetarianism. Many view mobile/cell phones as sacred cows, and I respect their obsession, but I don't want it shoved onto me. I have my own: visiting sacred spaces & collecting religious art, that I think too highly of to be criticized. I won't push mine. Don't push yours. Respecting sacred cows without embracing them is why Gayatri Gamuz's "The Cow" (above) is my NEWS OF WEEK.

In other religious art news from across the USA, and around the world:
  • Buddhist Art of Week: Art Review: ‘Buddhist Art of the Silk Road’. [More News]
  • Christian Art of Week: Teacher Pressured to Censor Student Artwork. [More News]
  • Islamic Art of Week: PBS Explores the Life of Prophet Muhammad. [More News]
  • Judaic Art of Week: Jews and Jesus: Putting Judaism Back in the Picture. [More News]
  • Founder's Birthday: Ernest Disney-Britton Celebrates Birthday by Looking Forward [Link]
It's more than Art. It's Religion. We are believers and skeptics too, united in the search for human understanding through art of the religious imagination. We believe in the artists and craftsman who dare to explore religious themes through their creativity. When you believe, you join other believers. Some of us join the A&O Project as dues-paying members; others support the A&O Prize - Youth Scholarships as donors; and still other digital members subscribe to this "free" weekly newsletter (or listen: soundcloud; or watch on YouTube). If you believe in more than "art for art's sake", then join us.

Comments

Verneida said…
Another GREAT job!!!!!!
Gina Britton said…
A friend?????? Lol

Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone
Ok. So, maybe you know who that "friend" is---but it's still his sacred cow!
Gina Britton said…
Can't say that I do know who it is/was, but I question the title of "friend" who criticizes you for something so petty...just my humble opinion...lol

Hey, by the way...I'm selling insurance for Anthem starting tomorrow. I will be in training for a few weeks, but if you know of anyone who will need insurance let me know. I'll also be selling the new Exchanges as well starting October 1. I'm a licensed agent in: Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri and Wisconsin.

I'll send out an official announcement soon. :)

Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone
Nick Bilton said…
Last weekend, I was watching television with a few friends, browsing the week’s most popular YouTube videos, when a piece in the comedy section called “I Forgot My Phone” caught my eye. As I was about to click play, however, a friend warned, “Oh, don’t watch that. I saw it yesterday, and it’s really sad.”

http://youtu.be/OINa46HeWg8
Tahlib said…
A different friend texted yesterday to say, "Since I don't want to impose my Sacred Cow on you, I've sent you an email." He sent a text a text to a mobile phone with that message. Really?

Popular Posts