CoverGirl signs its first ambassador observant Muslim in a hijab

THE NEW YORK TIMES
By Elizabeth Paton
Nura Afia, 24, a Colorado native, first started watching online beauty tutorials in 2011 while breast-feeding her daughter. Credit Lacey Terrell/CoverGirl, via Associated Press
Three weeks after naming the 17-year-old makeup artist James Charles its first cover boy, CoverGirl, one of the largest cosmetics companies in the United States, has announced another first: its debut CoverGirl in a hijab. Nura Afia, 24, a Colorado native. “When I first saw the email from CoverGirl earlier this year, I just couldn’t believe it,” said Ms. Afia, who has more than 215,000 subscribers to her YouTube channel and 13 million views of her video tutorials and who has previously teamed up with Revlon. “I actually took two or three days to reply because I thought it must be fake. “I felt it had to be some sort of joke given they had never had an observant Muslim campaign face before.” [link]