Southern & Jewish fiber art in America

MY JEWISH LEARNING
By Barbara Rucket
Fiber artist Barbara Rucket has designed mixed media wall pieces, mezuzot, a hamsa, a mizrach, and tzedakah boxes.
GEORGIA---In 1981, I took a weaving course in Atlanta, Georgia. My first project was a tallit for my older son’s Bar Mitzvah. That was the beginning of my journey to create not just fiber art, but fiber art Judaica. In 1998, I co-founded Peach State Stitchers, the Atlanta chapter of the International Pomegranate Guild of Judaic Needlework (PGJN). This group drew me in to sewing and quilting. This has enabled be to take the linens I inherited from my mother and grandmother and use them in mixed media work. It is a connection to the past which I find very comforting. Every stitch links me to them.It’s a special Southern Jewish arts opportunity, and one in which I am glad to take part. To learn more about the convention, visit our website. [link]