Devan Shimoyama is the winner of the 2016 PULSE Prize

ARTNET NEWS
By Sarah Cascone
"Yves" (2016) by Devan Shimoyama. 38"x28". Oil, latex, color pencil, latex, sequins. Flashe on canvas
MIAMI, FL---Devan Shimoyama is the winner of the 2016 Miami Beach PULSE Prize at PULSE Miami Beach. The artist’s work was the subject of a solo presentation at the booth of Los Angeles’s Samuel Freeman Gallery, a first time exhibitor at the fair. “I renounce the notion of one’s body belonging to oneself. My body, inhabited by my spirit, serves as my home in which I maintain and utilize his functionality in order to navigate the world,” said Shimoyama of his work in a statement. The artist, who lives in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, was selected by a panel of jurors.... Shimoyama will receive a $2,500 cash prize. [link]