Seeing God in Art: The Christian Faith in 30 Images by Richard Harries

CHURCH TIMES
By Nicholas Cranfield
Seeing God in Art: The Christian faith in 30 Images by Richard Harries
This is a wonderfully enviable book. I wished that I had been commissioned to write it, as it made me realise just how leaden my own attempts are in trying to link the Revealed in art to the Lived in Christ. Challenged to choose just 30 images to tell the story, and to write no more than 900 words about each, Lord Harries has produced a profoundly theological and readable account of the Christian faith (Faith, 3 April). It is shot through with his note-perfect observations that made his contributions to Thought for the Day so vivid; Paul of Tarsus, characterised as a jihadist, “was not the kind of person you would invite in for a meal”. Indeed not; neither in Barnes nor in Blackheath, I heard myself say. [More]

Popular Posts