My Sanctuary: The Church of St. Vincent de Paul | NYC


ALPHA OMEGA ARTS
By TAHLIB

NEW YORK---Since my arrival in July to work/live in NYC, my daily sanctuary has been noon mass at the Church of St. Vincent de Paul, and led by French speaking F. Murray. I adore the caretaker who reminds me of the Hunchback of Notre Dame but with a warm smile. Located across the street from my office of angry atheist-gay activists, I feel it is a gift from God, a place where I can restore my faith and energies each afternoon, and I do look forward to escaping to its peaceful walls each day.

Built in 1857 on W. 23rd St. between Sixth and Seventh Ave in Chelsea by architect, Henry Engelbert it is a classically-inspired temple featuring inlaid marble, mosaics, massive fluted Corinthian columns and brilliant frescoes. In 1939 the congregation chose to restyle the 23rd Street façade and architect Anthony H. Depace stripped away the Engelbert facade, replacing it with the restrained Roman-inspired frontage we know today. Notably, this Greco-Roman church is the only one French language Sunday masses in NYC, including an all-Haitian choir (Singing in French), and it was founded by French Catholics. However, the church has been under threat of closing since 2006 and I am doubtful about its longterm survival but I hope it survives my term of service living here in the city. I don't speak French but during the week, the noon mass is in English, so I am there daily (Monday-Friday).