Serbia's Icon-Painting Nuns

AFP
By Suzana Markovic
The painting nuns of Gradac are in demand at orthodox churches
(AFP/File, Dalibor Danilovic)
SERBIA - The nun painters of Gradac are much in demand and have decorated walls at several orthodox churches, even in neighboring Croatia. But they prefer icon painting. Icons play a key role in the Orthodox church, and are displayed in churches and monasteries. At home believers usually keep icons of their patron saint, whose feast day is lavishly celebrated by the entire family. The work of the Gradac nuns and Mother Efimija has won praise from art critics. "(As an artist) I thought that art would allow me to find the truth, to resolve the mystery of death, but I had found no answer," the 46-year-old told AFP. "I started looking elsewhere and realised that the church could provide me with the complete answer" to the big questions about life." [link]

Comments