Student Leader Champions Diversity in Idaho

THE COEUR D' ALENE PRESS
By Devin L. HeilmanIDAHO - It is a crying shame when culture is introduced into our community and expunged by closed-minded residents like a virus under attack from white blood cells. I am referring to the July 7 front page story, "Art ouster sought," by Tom Hasslinger. This article first grabbed my attention because of the photo of a beautiful piece of art, the Ganesha statue created by Rick Davis. I figured it was something new The Press wanted to feature. Then I read the caption and the story and my heart broke. Kudos to Deanna Goodlander and those in the City Council who are holding their ground to keep the statue in place. These representatives of our community are clued in to the big picture here and I commend them. Please do not cave to the ignorance that is surrounding this situation. This issue means a lot to me, because I have lived here my whole life and I know, as a community, we are capable of love and respect. We just have to encourage each other to practice it. [link]

Devin L. Heilman is a Coeur d'Alene native and currently editor of the North Idaho College newspaper, The Sentinel.

Comments

Devin Heilman is a credit to the great people of Idaho.

Popular Posts