Sister Wendy's Advice on Art Beyond My Comfort Zone

ALPHA OMEGA ARTS
By TAHLIB



Whenever I hear about a work of art being labeled "Blasphemous," I always think back to the advice shared by Roman Catholic Nun Sister Wendy. In 1997, she and Bill Moyers discussed the controversial work, "Piss Christ" and she offered as clear an educational/spiritual point-of-view as I've yet heard shared for the non-academic audience (above). This week, as American Catholics in Brooklyn once again angrily engage with American Artists over an art video by a fellow Catholic & artist from New Jersey; and as Muslims around the world grapple with the protest art photography shared by an Egyptian college student (a series of Nudes), it is time to again remind ourselves of Sister Wendy's wise words, "[Art] is what you make of it, and I could make something of it that makes me feel a deep desire to reverence the death of Christ more...." As a Believer, I am grateful to Sister Wendy for reminding me of my God-given ability to find the Divine in Art whenever I am challenged beyond my comfort zone.

Comments

Thank God for Believers like Sister Wendy.

Popular Posts