Art Critic 'Bites' back at anti-Christian bias, and gets paid for it!

WND | World Net Daily
By Marisa Martin
"Piss Christ" (1987) by Andres Serrano
Brian Sherwin is a prodigiously busy man. A Christian, free-thinking art critic and commentator. "I’m one of the few art critics you’ll meet who happens to be openly Christian. I make my living from writing about art. Very few people can say that. My faith has not held me back but inspires me – and it is why I know there is still a lot of work to be done within the world of art.  [link]

I’ll add that I know that my religious preference is not tolerated in some circles of the art world, specifically mainstream sections of the art world in New York City – while other religious choices are tolerated. What can I say? Christianity is an easy “punching bag” for some people. If Andres Serrano had created “Piss Muhammad” instead of “Piss Christ,” I guarantee it would never be shown by big museums but labeled “hateful” and “intolerant.”

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is another great part to his comments: "Just to be clear … I don’t have a problem with Serrano or “Piss Christ.” That said, I question why it’s OK to attack only the Christian faith but “deplorable” to visually criticize other religions. Why not “attack” them all visually and have a real debate going?"
Anonymous said…
And while he had been a critic of Thomas Kincade, I want to share his noteworthy salute to him upon his death: "I know that some readers may scoff at what I'm about to say... but, independent artists (those not represented by an art gallery) -- OR, those who create artwork that the mainstream gallery world will never accept -- could probably learn a few things from Thomas Kinkade about art marketing.... he was able to establish a persona that helped his artwork to be sold -- and he explored alternative exhibit spaces when the big art galleries ignored him. He refused to be ignored. He made opportunities for himself. In that sense, Kinkade was brilliant at marketing his art."

Popular Posts