BY Leila Pitchform-English
a museum has gathered artifacts from the region to display. See the related story, “The art of faith.” [link]
KEY TERMS IN CHRISTIAN ART/ARTIFACTS:
- STAINED GLASS WINDOWS: a practice that dates to at least the 800s.
- CHALICE: This is the cup holding wine in Communion.
- CIBORIUM: This is a lidded vessel that holds the Eucharistic bread.
- CHASUBLE: This is a priest’s or bishop’s outermost vestment while celebrating the Eucharist.
- MONSTRANCE: This object shows the Eucharistic Host or bread so it may be venerated.
- ICON: The word comes from the Greek “eikon,” which means “image.”