INSPIRE ME! Artist, Linda Witte Henke

"I find it more productive to engage 
people in discussions of universal spiritual themes"
~ LINDA WITTE HENKE
By Ernest Disney-Britton

Last July, when 10,000 Episcopalians descended onto Indianapolis for their national convention, I heard about this amazing Lutheran artist named Linda Witte Henke. Her massive work, "Great O Antiphons" was on display as part of the convention's sacred art display. I soon subscribed to her newsletter, but I didn't get a chance to see her work in person until November's 2013 "Alpha Omega: Religious Risks" at Indiana Interchurch Center. I was wowed, and am happy to introduce INSPIRE ME! Artist, Linda Witte Henke.

Portrait of the artist, Linda Witte Henke
1. What is your faith tradition, and how does it impact your art? I'm engaged in the Lutheran expression of the Christian tradition.  Inspiration for my work often comes from sacred writings, liturgical practices, and theological reflections associated with my faith practice.
"The Great O Antiphons (panel 1 of 7, Sapientia)" by Linda Witte Henke
2. Describe your artwork. What style or genre is it? I'm a contemporary mixed-media artist specializing in liturgically purposed work, such as vestments (garments worn by worship leaders), paraments (adornments for worship appointments, such as ambos and communion tables), and large, site-specific installations.  I create primarily in fiber, but I design for all media.
"Wholly, Holy, Whole" (2012) by Kinda Witte Henke
3. Have you ever had to defend exploring religious ideas? I find it more productive to engage people in discussions of universal spiritual themes than to enter into debates about religious beliefs.
"Passion Pilgrimage (panel 13 of 18, Proximity)" (2004) by Linda Witte Henke
4. Who collects your work, and why? Most of my work is created through a commission process for Christian congregations, denominational headquarters, religious agencies, and, occasionally, individuals.

"All Things New" (2013) by Linda Witte Henke
5. What "risks" have you taken in creating your work? I'm currently creating life-scale, three-dimensional, figurative sculptures depicting unfamiliar or misunderstood female characters from the bible, accompanied by original first-person narratives intended to engender a sense of kinship with the characters.  I develop such a strong sense of connection with the characters, that I feel vulnerable in sharing their stories.

"Familiar Tale" (2012) by Linda Witte Henke
6. What other artists have influenced your work? Sadao Wantanabe, a Japanese artist who translated biblical stories through the use of culturally expressive imagery, had an early and enduring influence on both my faith and my art.  My first experience of contemporary fiber art -- an exhibition of work by Nancy Crow -- awakened me to fiber as a medium of artistic expression.
"Annunciation" by Sadao Wantanabe
7. How can A&O readers collect/experience your work? I encourage people to contact me (linda(at)lindahenke.com) to subscribe to my periodic electronic newsletters, which contain listings of places where my work is being exhibited, as well as news about my work within and beyond the studio.  People may also enjoy visiting my website (www.lindahenke.com).
"Tree of Life" (2008) by Linda Witte Henke
I'm not sure how others find amazing artists, but I clip articles and create files on them. That's how I first came to know the work of NYC-based artist Kehinde Wiley. Way back in 2007, I came across his work in a design magazine in Cincinnati, and I clipped it. The dramatic images stuck but I never expected to see them in person, and soon enough I was living in NYC, and even socializing (twice) with the artist. Last July, I clipped the news story about Linda Witte Henke; and while I've yet to meet her, I hope we all get to do so very soon.