Movie Director Speaks Out About Noah and the Ark, as ART

T MAGAZINE
By Darren Aronofsky
“Animal Planet,” by Matt Furie, one of more than 50 artworks now on display at 462 West Broadway in SoHo, New York, commissioned by Aronofsky to coincide with his upcoming film, “Noah.”
NEW YORK---When I asked Russell Crowe to star in “Noah,” I promised him one thing: I would never shoot him standing on the bow of a houseboat with two giraffes sticking up behind him. I wanted to break the clichéd preconceptions we have from children’s toys, adverts, 1950s biblical epics and even much of the religious art of the last two millennia: the old man in a robe and sandals with a long white beard preaching in some Judean desert. I wanted Noah’s story to feel fresh, immediate and real. So when my team and I started to imagine how to bring the prediluvian era to life, we threw away all the tropes and returned to the Bible. Here was a mythological world potentially as distinct as Middle Earth: a biblical, fantastical world. Darren Aronofsky explains why he decided to take on the fantastical Bible story in his new film and curate an art show about it. [link]

“The Deluge,” by Simon Bisley
“Ark,” by Alexis Rockman. Aiyana Udesen
“El Diluvio,” by the artist Armando Romero