Catholic League Mocks Sotheby's Auction of ‘Piss Christ’ by Andres Serrano

THE DAILY CALLER
By Rachel Stoltzfoos
"Piss Christ" (1987) by Andres Serrano in artist's frame for auction
NEW YORK---Andres Serrano’s controversial photograph, “Piss Christ,” is for sale, and the Catholic League thinks anyone who would buy it is a “sucker” and a “lout.” The Catholic League, an organization founded to defend the rights of Catholics, has condemned the piece in the past as “gratuitous and intentionally insulting.” Sotheby’s, one of the world’s largest brokers of art, will auction a print Thursday at 9:30 a.m., and expects to get between $100,000 and $150,000 for it. ”The Catholic League will not make a bid,” Donahue added in the statement. “But we are interested in interviewing the sucker who buys it. If you know who the lout is, please have him give us a call.” Serrano has said he wasn’t trying to offend. ”At the time I made Piss Christ, I wasn’t trying to get anything across,” he told The Guardian. “In hindsight, I’d say Piss Christ is a reflection of my work, not only as an artist, but as a Christian.” [link]

Comments

Sold this morning for $185,000 (Hammer Price with Buyer's Premium). It is signed, titled, dated 1987 and numbered 7/10 on the reverse. The auction estimate was $100,000 — $150,000 USD, and I don't know if the Catholic Leaque will get an interview (but I doubt it).
Andres Serrano said…
I feel regrets about a lot of things, but not about ‘Piss Christ,’ no. In fact, I’m very proud of ‘Piss Christ,’ and I’ll tell you why: there was a time when religious art, during the Renaissance and before, was the only important art in the world. It was the only art that mattered. Religious art is no longer great art, you know? It’s no longer in fashion. So I feel like, in a way, I’ve reclaimed that territory as an artist, you know, and as a Christian artist, with ‘Piss Christ,’ to say this is a contemporary religious work that is important.

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/05/19/homeless-andres-serrano

Popular Posts