Marriage equality's loneliest hearts club is Black & gay

ALPHA OMEGA ARTS
By Ernest Disney-Britton
“Noah’s Arc: Jumping the Broom” (2008) is an award winning film about a Black gay wedding 
An unexpected thing happened on the day of the marriage decision. My single Black gay friends reacted with religious hatred. One friend texted: "God ain't happy." Another posted on his Facebook: "For the record, I don't believe in it, but I do believe in the word," and a third "liked" the post! Then I read the majority opinion written by Justice Anthony M. Kennedy: “Marriage responds to the universal fear that a lonely person might call out only to find no one there.” Now my friend's anger makes sense. Before the Supreme Courts ruling, if you were Black and gay, it was normal to be alone. The new normal is marriage, and religious hatred masks the loneliness. I'll keep an eye on them.