Can You Party During Carnival (Mardi Gras) And Still Be a Christian?

PATHEOS
By Rev. Morgon Guton
“Mardi Gras Bourbon Street 2015″ by Nick Solari, Wikimedia Commons C.C.
LOUISIANA---It’s Mardi Gras season in New Orleans, which can be an awkward time for a campus minister. Many of the students I know will be drinking a lot during the next week. Some Christian students I know see it as necessary to their Christian discipleship to give up alcohol. I deeply respect that, but I’m not going to declare that a hard and fast rule because I’ve been told that other students have stopped going to church because they felt guilty about drinking. So instead, I thought I would offer some reflective questions to ponder as you think about the choices you make during Mardi Gras season or any other party. [link]
  1. Are you celebrating or self-medicating?
  2. Are you creating authentic connections with other people?
  3. Are you safe?
  4. Are you able to tend to others’ needs?
  5. Can you fast when you’re done feasting?