INSPIRE ME! Artist of the Month, Kelvin Burzon - Nov/Dec 2017

ALPHA OMEGA ARTS

"Early on I always took to drawing angels and images of Christ"
~ KELVIN BURZON
Kelvin Burzon in the studio, 2017, Test for “The Last Judgement""
Paintings of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ are an important element of the Christian experience dating back to the 5th century. Throughout history, artists of different cultures have reimagined the Christ figure in own their image, and this tradition continues today. This year, we've introduced our readers to a dark African Christ by Jamaican painter Christopher Lawrence; a white Jesus in Gethsemane by English artist Michael Cook; and an Asian Christ by gay Filipino-born photographer Kelvin Burzon. This month, his installation, "Noli Me Tangere (touch me not)” earned him the 2017 Alpha Omega Prize for advancing our religious dialogue. We invite you to learn more about Kelvin Burzon in the interview below:
“Betrayal of Jesus” Archival Inkjet print 2016
1. Where and when were you born, and what is your artistic training?

I was born in Bataan Philippines on March 26, 1989 to a meager home but a loving and supportive family. My exposure to art was limited to cultural crafts and religious works. As a child, I spent many hours contemplating and admiring religious statuaries in our family home as well as the church. Holy Week was always my favorite time of the year because the statuaries come alive. They are taken out of storage and off their pedestals and paraded around the city by candlelight followed by a procession of prayers. Early on I always took to drawing angels and images of Christ never knowing that it would stick with me to blossom into my future artistic research. I received my Bachelor of Arts Degree in studio art from Wabash College and my Master of Fine Arts in photography from Indiana University’s School of Art + Design. Moving to America on April 2000 I was removed from the religious culture that I knew. It was not until 2011 while studying abroad in Florence did I reconnect. I spent time in old Italian cathedrals and forever staring at works in the Uffizi, letting the imagery soak into me. 
“Mea Culpa: Our Lady of Sorrows” Archival Inkjet print 2017
2. Which religious tradition has informed your artwork, and how?

Roman Catholicism is the backbone of my familial relationships as well as what I consider my cultural identity. The Filipino culture I grew up in is inseparable from the church. My fondest memories as a child, and even now, are events somehow driven by religion.  I extract inspirations from the biblical stories my grandmother told me as a child, the experiences I had attending Catholic school, long hours in chapels, the grandeur and extravagance of the church, to my recent experiences.
“Volto Santo” Archival inkjet prints, wood, hardware, polycrylic applique, gold pigment 2017
3. Have you ever had to defend exploring religious ideas?

Luckily I’m currently producing art in a context where I am able to propel myself into the work without controversy or friction. The one person I constantly have to defend my work to is myself. I often have to suffer through an internal conversation concerning guilt, shame, pride, selfishness, disrespect and catharsis.
“Sacra Conversazione Altarpiece” Saint Agatha, Saint Peter, Saint John the Baptist, Coronation of the Virgin, Saint Veronica, Saint Joseph, Saint Jude. Archival inkjet prints, wood, hardware, polycrylic applique, gold pigment 2017
4. What challenges have you faced in creating religious-themed works? (e.g., race, class, gender and sexuality)

For me, it was the challenge of acceptance. I had to face and define many things about the world and myself before I could even start making imagery. I first had to be okay with myself and then be okay with sharing that with the world. I’m still challenged on how to exist and make work as a religious homosexual man. 
“Mea Culpa: Maryosep” Archival Inkjet print 2017
5. Who are your favorites artists, and whose work is in your own collection?

Not mentioning my favorite artists of the renaissance that I reference in my imagery, some favorite artists that I constantly return to are Robert Mapplethorpe, Andres Serrano, David LaChapelle, Pierre et Gilles, Juan Jose Barboza-Gubo and Andrew Mroczek, Renee Cox and Yasumasa Morimura. 
“Santo Niño” Archival Inkjet print 2017
6. Who collects your work, and why?

As of now, not very many people collect my work. I’ve donated pieces to the collection of the Kinsey Institute as well as traveling portfolios but not very many people know about me yet. I intend to change that. 
>“The Last Judgement” Archival Inkjet print 2017
7. Where can AOA collectors experience your work this year?

There are no immediate plans to show work aside from minor group exhibitions but for more details on upcoming events visit my website/blog at kelvinburzon.com
"Pietà" by Kelvin Burzon in Noli Me Tangere