'The Art of Grief and What Follows' at OCJAC Explores Grief Through Abstract Paintings

JEWISH EXPONENT
By Selah Maya Zighelboim
Grief Painting #30, mixed media on paper, 19” x 24” (Tremain Smith)
Philadelphia-based artist Tremain Smith wasn’t sure what to expect when Rabbi Zalman Wircberg, director of the Old City Jewish Arts Center (OCJAC), visited her studio to look at her art, but was still surprised when he asked to see her grief paintings, which she had created after her mother’s death several years before. “They were not something that I had thought that anyone else would particularly be interested in,” said Smith, who isn’t Jewish. “I had put them on my website, just to let people know that I hadn’t disappeared because I had really left my life for a period of time, both my studio and my career and my teaching, and moved in with Mom. That’s what he was interested in.” “The Art of Grief and What Follows” opened at OCJAC on May 3 and runs through June 1. [More]
The Birthing, 2019, mixed media on paper, 22" x 30" (Tremain Smith)