Katie Wagget Best Photograph: Joy Sunday Best

THE GUARDIAN
Interview by Diane Smyth
‘Part of being British is being able to celebrate who we are’ … from the photobook Sunday Best by Katie Waggett. Photograph: Katie Waggett
Her name is Joy and I photographed her outside one of the many African churches in south-east London. I had just finished photographing a mosque on the same bland industrial estate when I found the blue wall, then spotted Joy dancing in the church with her children. Her dress speaks to her sense of cultural pride. She’s in her element, in church, in a place where she can showcase her Nigerian clothes. Joy’s church is Christ’s Chosen Church of God. I photographed Joy in August 2019, towards the end of a three-year project I called Sunday Best, which celebrates London’s religious diversity through portraits and stories of Londoners dressed for worship. [More]