Sacred Spaces: Scottish Rite Cathedral | Indianapolis

AOA NEWS
By Ernest Britton

INDIANA - When I first saw the gigantic Scottish Rite Cathedral in downtown Indianapolis, I thought I'd found my home for daily noon mass. Greg soon corrected me. It's a social center and home of the Masons, a brotherhood established on Christian principles (Both George Washington and my Dad were Masons). This Tudor cathedral with its over the-top Gothic ornamentation was completed in 1929. It's a very well archived and proud tradition, and the elderly mason who gave me the tour even showed me the photo of his father's induction class of 1930. The building is rich with german made art glass windows, carved stone and one of the most ornate theaters I've seen in the United States, all of curly Russian white oak.

Comments

Popular Posts