Atkins Life Plan

In the Atkins Life Plan, our objective is to eat as many "good" carbs as possible and to cut our virtually all "bad" carbs. This means no conventional bread (like we bought 3 loaves of last night), baked goods (like chocolate chip cookies or brownies), and pasta and nothing made with sugar (rootbeer). Even nutritious carb foods like brown rice (we both like), lentils (okay), and sweet potatos (we both like enough) will be off menu until close to goal weight.

There are 4 phases:

  • #1 (14 days) INDUCTION (Ketosis) 20g of net carbs daily: meats and salad only (no cheese)
  • #2 (7 day cycles) OWL (Ongoing Weight Loss) Add 5g per day and eat cheese, berries, nuts and seeds (maybe even legumes). Once we stop losing weight, which is around 40-60g daily we'll know how many carbs we can eat daily to maintain weight.
  • #3 PM (Pre-Maintenance) Each week as another 10g daily or 20-30 twice a week.
  • #4 LM (Lifetime Maintenance) You've achieved your goal weight and eat what you want but limit it to 45-100 carbs per day; just skip junk food. Also do 60-min of exercise daily.

Comments

Greg said…
This all sounds great, but to be honest I am not sure I have the strength to stick to this after the weight loss. I feel I am able to just be good. Cut out desserts except on weekends. I can live without junk food and fast food. I have done that before. We can eat lots if sweet potatoes and beans and love small salads with dinner. Hamburgers without buns when u make em. Yummie!
Tahlib said…
I hear you Boo. It's sounds tough but like anything else, it comes from building a habit. I am going to give it a try but another night like last night and I'll be sneaking in to eat cherrios at 2am! What I did like about it was that it gives you a way to measure when you will actually gain weight (I mean, how many G's result in gain vs. loss). That part alone is worth working to discover. I was surprised to see "no cheese" during first two-weeks! Maybe I did that the first time but I forgot after that, but I "think" I can do it for next 24 hrs at least.

Week:
1 - less than 20g
2 - less than 20g
3 - 25g + 5g each day (till gain)
4 - Splash with 30g twice week
5 - Maintain weight with 40-100g per day.

Popular Posts