Board Statements | Alpha & Omega Prize

Below are statements of support from the officers of the Board of Directors for the Alpha & Omega Prize for the Contemporary Religious Art installed on Saturday, October 2, 2010:

Pastor Jackie Jackson, Board Chair
I am supporting the project because I believe in the crucial significance such a project has in terms of both art and ideas in American society. While other arts organizations celebrate historical greats or contemporary names, this project is a vehicle to bridge the gap between communities. As an artist myself (singer) I know what is at the heart of creative expression, the motivation to change what others see and feel. As a pastor, I know that we as humans too often fear differences and I see this as an opportunity to bring all walks of faith together. Thus revealing the true meaning of God’s Love.

Leo Calderon, Board Vice Chair
As an educator, I am committed to the project because I would like to carry on the legacy of Dr. Leon E. Boothe, a mentor to both Ernest and myself. Our service will be a tribute to his dedication for creating a Just Community. We have a great opportunity to celebrate through art, the richness of the many religions that exist in our nation. It is an ideal way to show unity, respect, admiration and appreciation to all of our citizens. Finally, I firmly believe that this unique approach will serve as a catalyst for a better tomorrow.

Greg Disney, Board Secretary
As a collector of film-based art, I have a unique perspective on contemporary art. In fact, until recently, I didn't consider my collection as art. Through my connection to the project and exposure to more "traditional museums," I've come to understand that artistic expression is not about the style of the thing you collect but what you experience as a result. Contemporary religious art, even in its most cartoonish "Disney-type" forms is road map for me to see through the eyes of differently religious people.

Ted Givens, AIA, Board Treasurer
As an architect who designs spaces for bringing people together, I see the real value of the project in being a tool for discussion and interaction. This past year has seen the escalation of the polarization of public discourse in America. We somehow find security in stereotypes to explain away our differences or to justify why we disagree. I believe our project can bring together persons of different faith backgrounds to discuss all forms of religious art, and then I believe we will begin to help break down the barriers that separate us.

Ernest Britton, Managing Director & CEO
My leadership here is more than a natural progression of a decades-long year career in arts management. It is also a continuation of my own spiritual journey. As an arts manager and art collector, I've known the daring of great artists. As a believer, I've been a witness to how art can inspire change; and as an educator, I've seen how art can engage others. It is more than time for an embrace of contemporary religious art in America, and I'm honored to serve with this board to help make it happen.