INSPIRE ME: Artist, Michelangelo



By Tahlib

The first historical CWG of 2011 features Michelangelo of the "The David" and Sistine Chapel fame. His Italian style and interest in male fitness add a unique flavor to this interview that I find really intriguing. If you haven’t done a tour of his work in Rome, I’d really recommend checking him out. His display at the Sistine Chapel is well worth the dime to fly to Rome, and we Americans are lucky because a replica of his Pieta on permanent display in Minnesota at St. Paul's Cathedral. As for Michelangelo’s inspirations, I’m pondering how I can implement my own version of his inspirations (below) into my life as well. Enjoy!
I born on March 6, 1475, the second of five brothers in Tuscany to a wonderful father named Ludovico di Leonardo di Buonartto Simoni and a my mother was Francesca Neri. Although born in a small village, I've always considered myself a "Citizen of Florence" and some say I have the ego to match. Even so, I have always tried to live each day aware of who I am and how I treat others. It's just how I was raised. Now that I am definitely in the public eye I feel it is even more important. I don't really want to be a role model though, just the envy of all other artists (especially that pompous Leonardo da Vinci). There is so much pressure today to be the best. Even the Pope thinks I am the best and so he trapped me here at the Vatican for five long years painting this ceiling, when I'd rather have been back in Florence sculpting. Anway, I still did it better than anyone else!
Michelangelo's First Painting (1487-88)
I do believe that taking care of your health is important so beautiful bodies are one of my many inspirations! Also, if I feel tired, stressed or out of shape my whole life crumbles around me. I feel almost as bad as St. Anthony must have when he was being tormented by the monsters I painted in 1488 (above). So, I make sure to carve out time everyday to focus on me. Whether it is going for a drink, having great sex with a new lover, or simply relaxing in a hot bath, I plan something to calm my mind and make me feel good. This keeps me sharp and ready for any challenge that may come my way. Oh, and I pray too.
I love that my art is an outlet for my creativity even though my Dad was originally opposed to it.  Every day I get to create a new spiritual experience for people and hopefully inspire them with great beauty. I have always enjoyed working on creative projects. When I was a young apprentice to Domenico Ghirlandaio, I would sit for hours cutting out images of Shepards for him from magazines.  If I don’t challenge myself to try new things I become restless and irritated so that apprenticeship only lasted one year. You can ask anyone in Rome or Florence about that. Lately, I have been reading a lot of blogs that feature stuff about that Alpha & Omega Project in America. If I was an American, I think I'd come up with a new idea to enter into their fine arts competitive next year.
I think one thing people are surprised by when they meet me is what a goofball I am. I mean, I hate to take myself too seriously (well, except for my art). Life is too stressful, especially with the Vatican breathing down your neck constantly about "finish, finish" finish" to spend every day worried and upset, or to be too stuck-up like Leonardo. Whenever I have a bad day I force myself to smile and find someone to laugh about (usually Leonardo da Vinci or the Pope). If you want to read more about me and the Pope, check out Ross King's paperback, Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling. They say that the simple act of smiling can also make you happier so I try. I also like to blast rap music and dance and act a fool with my boyfriends (I mean friends). It cures all my sorrows.
The Statue of David (1504)
Lastly, eating well is something I am trying to control, but it is so difficult for me.  Italian's make great ice cream and pasta, and I love to eat it whenever I can! However, I am learning that saving for a special splurge can make it all the more worth it and keeps me slim.  I remind myself that if I eat healthy all week and hit my goals I can have one party night and huge a platter of spaghetti instead of the ice cream I crave every night. I also tell myself that if "The David" had eaten like I want to eat, who would have ever wanted to keep the sculpture! The one I co-created with God looks good even on a switchplate.
Recommend another "Out of the Past" INSPIRE@alphaomegaarts.org

Comments

Popular Posts