A Skater whose artwork is Bible Inspired

THE DAILY GAMECOCK
February 23, 2011

"The Exorcist" by Jason Smith
SOUTH CAROLINA -- The Columbia Museum of Art debuted its new "Skate and Create" exhibit in the David Wallace Robinson Jr. Community Gallery Tuesday night. On display now through April 24, the exhibit features several collections from various artists including the works of Jason Smith, a skateboarder long before he ever picked up a paintbrush. Smith paints what is real; the haunting eyes of the "Death Angel" on display in the exhibit practically leap off the canvas and bore into your soul, in an acute contrast to the darkness of the missing eyeballs in "The Exorcist" painting. Smith said his greatest inspiration comes from his Bible. "All of my paintings are somehow biblically related," said Smith. "I read a Bible verse, and I instantly know what needs to be painted. And my pieces always turn out to be exactly like what I see in my head. After that, 10 people may walk by and see my painting, and if only one person is affected by it, that's who the Lord wanted me to paint for." [link]

Comments

Popular Posts