Review: Beth Boorman's "Picturing Jesus in Art"

http://www.stlukesumc.com/

After viewing, "Fallen Carpenter" (1969) by D. Jack Rader and "Celebration Window" (1999) by Minnietta Millard at St. Luke's United Methodist Church on March 20, we sat down to listen to Beth Boorman's 30-minute session on "Picturing Jesus in Art." It was great, and although I didn't buy her book (for sale in lobby) I was thrilled with how she engaged the audience, and in particular how she engaged YOU (My husband).

She introduced herself as not being an artist, but a person who "becomes lost in art. It takes me places I've never been." She added, "I've seen how art contemplation brings people to life" and that is "draws people into a relationship with the holy spirit." Her presentation certainly worked for YOU. She introduced concepts like Roger Speery's "Left Brain" and "Right Brain" theories adding that the "Right braind does the experiencing of life"...while the "Left brain takes away the meaning"..so, "It's (left) the way we experience spiritual things." Her format was simple, and one we should adopt for AOP:

  1. Introduced her background, the theory and her experience with art.
  2. Showed three slides of religious artworks, and asked us to reflect on each.
    1. "Christ and the Samaritain Woman" by Etienne Parrosel
    2. "Christ and Youth" by Simeon Solomon (Gay artist imprisoned for gay sex)
    3. "The Mocked Christ" by Annabele Carrachi
  3. After reflection time (2-3 min) she asked for our reactions, paraphrasing and affirming what each person saw and experienced. She encouraged us to "take it in."
  4. In closing she invited us each to experience the religious art in our own backyards and to use it to "reflect" on our personal relationship with Christ.
YOU, honey talked soooo much. I was astonded and thrilled. Thank you for going there with me.

Comments

Greg said…
I really enjoyed the day! Thanks for always exposing me to a life I never dreamed I could LOVE! You are my little Lover!

Popular Posts