Artist Adds Irreverent Twist to Revered Religious Items

THE COLORADOAN
By Stacy Nick
'Farkle Mary,' by Maggie Kunze, will be on display at the 'Holy Crap & Bling' exhibit at ArtLab. / Courtesy of Maggie Kunze
COLORADO - Fort Collins artist Maggie Kunze thinks the religious iconic pieces she's collected over the years are quite beautiful; she just wanted to make it more beautiful. In a new exhibit, "Holy Crap & Bling," Kunze and local artists William Pilch, Laurie Zuckerman and Pam Marshall tackle religious icons and imagery with blinged out statues, irreverent paintings, iconic photos and religious altars. "It's very tongue-in-cheek religious art," said Kunze of her works. "I have always been very respectful; I don't believe that I am doing anything blasphemous or derogatory," she said, adding, "I understand that there is a line and that there will be some who don't get (my work). My art isn't for everybody ... I believe that God has a good sense of humor." [link]

Comments