In art and in life, nuns finally get their due

THE WASHINGTON POST
By Melinda Henneberger

WASHINGTON, DC - On Wednesday, the Vatican announced a crackdown on American nuns, charging the Leadership Conference of Women Religious, which represents most of the country’s 57,000 women religious, with falling prey to “radical feminism’’ and falling out of step with church teaching on women’s ordination and homosexuality.

The response from the general public was enormous and overwhelmingly sympathetic to the sisters. Not so long ago, Catholic nuns were routinely written off — and in popular culture, written up, as sharp-eyed meanies armed with rulers who paced their classrooms meting out punishment and sowing self-doubt. ...they are no longer unthanked or unsung. Now the view of women religious, in both art and life, is typically far more admiring: The unheeded heroine of John Patrick Shanley’s play and movie “Doubt,” Sister Aloysius, for instance, tries to get out in front of what looks to her like the signs of sex abuse by a parish priest. And the HBO documentary “God is the Bigger Elvis,’’ a respectful treatment of Hollywood star Dolores Hart’s decision to become a cloistered nun, was even nominated for an Oscar this year. [link]

Comments

I was raised Catholic. And while, I'm certainly not the most devout, I am still Catholic so I have a dog in this fight, and it angers me that the Roman Catholic "male" leadership has come down hard on the powerless Nuns. As a PR Man though, I understand their strategy. If you Google "Roman Catholic," there are still so many scandals relating the priest abuse, and financial mismanagement but the PR team at the Vatican isn't going to do the standup thing and correct the sytem which created these abuses. Instead they are on the attack to create the impression that the problems are all external. They are making headlines with their own messaging which pushes away any attention onto what really matters--the abuse of power within my Roman Catholic Church. They attack the US President (and I didn't vote for him either), and they attack abortion (I oppose that too), but they've crossed the line on attacking the Nuns! Next time you see a Priest, tell him to pick on someone his own size if he wants to keep us from paying attention to what's really going on behind the red curtain of Rome. By the way, my Mom agrees with me on this one, and so does my grandma.
Anonymous said…
Wow! I hadn't hear about this.

Popular Posts