Private collectors, the unsung heros of the religious arts

CHURCH AND ART NETWORK
By Luann Jennings
"Hades II" (2011) by Peter Howson | Courtesy Artnet
in “Peter Howson: Redemption” at Flowers Gallery New York
I met John Kohan at the opening of an exhibition by Scottish artist Peter Howson, “Redemption,” at Flowers Gallery in New York City. As John and I chatted about mutual friends and Howson’s work, I was struck by the realization that the collector and patron is the great unrecognized hero of the arts. The fact that John is passionate about art containing overtly religious themes was deeply refreshing to me after years of hearing artists lament that they can’t express their faith in their work because it would be professionally marginalizing. John Kohan is on a one-man campaign to prove that wrong.  [link]

Comments

Anonymous said…
This Howson work is disturbing too but I could live with in a room that I never entered.

Popular Posts