Art Review: Turkish Born Artist Nezaket Ekici's Chador Women and Pink Piglets

ALPHA OMEGA ARTS
By Tahlib
"My Pig" (2004) by Nezaket Ekici  (b. Turkey)
GERMANY---Born in Turkey, Nezaket Ekici has lived in Germany since 1973 and is one of 11 artists exploring religious taboos in a new exhibition this summer in Berlin entitled “Journey to Jerusalem: Artistic Positions Between Religion, Tradition and Taboo”.  Spanning photography, painting, video, and installation, the works on show at the Kunstraum Kreuzberg/Bethanien reviews have been positive while reflecting the challenging nature of the imagery. Because it is Ramadan, I am particularly intrigued by the messaging of Nezaket Ekici’s portraits of a woman dressed in a fully-covering chador and petting a piglet. It is neither comical or blasphemous but it certainly makes you uncomfortable, and is totally in keeping with the exhibition aim to explore common themes in Judaism, Christianity and Islam. I wish I could see more of it for myself but in the meantime, I will follow Nezaket Ekici, and her piglets online for A&O.

Comments