Jesus Was a Jew, and Other Forgotten Believer Memories of Christianity

ALPHA OMEGA ARTS 
By Tahlib

When I moved to NYC, I came as a Follower. The man who I left family and friends to follow was a Jew who was leading a movement of believers. As a Christian, I believed I was reliving Christ's call. And to a large degree, that's exactly what happened, and just as surely it didn't happen in the way I imagined. Isn't that's the story of the authentic Jesus? He surprised us beyond our expectations.

Yet a surprising number of Christians and Jews forget that Jesus never converted to Christianity, but was born and died a Jew.  In "Jesus Uncensored: Restoring the Authenic Jew," psychologist, teacher, and spiritual writer Bernard Starr explores biblical texts and spotlights that Jesus, like Paul, the founder of Christianity, never gave up his Jewish identity.  Starr's aim is not to prove Believers on either side as wrong, but in detailing the evolution of the "fair-skinned Jesus" he hopes to heal a rift between religions, and to foster a new spirit of reconciliation. As my friend Leslie reminded me many times (and she's a Jew) especially during Christian Lent and Jewish Passover: "Jesus was a Jew" -- By God she was right.

Does France's George Roualt's Jesus (1932) look Jewish? 
Does Netherlands' Rembrant's Jesus (1656) look Jewish?
Does Israeli Adi Nis' "Christ" (2009) look Jewish?
Does American, Warner Sallman's Jesus (1941) look Jewish?

Comments

Popular Posts