ArtPrize 2013: Why I Voted for 1,427 Amazing Works of Art

ALPHA OMEGA ARTS
By Greg Disney-Britton
"Tall Budda" is at a courtyard of amazing outdoor works, and I voted for him.
Okay, I admit to being skeptical about enjoying 3-days at an artfair in the town of Grand Rapids, MI, but I loved this! I voted for 1,427 works of the art (real number later); and I wanted more time to see and vote for more! The Editorial Board for Grand Rapid's Press wrote: "As the voting for this year’s ArtPrize Top 10 heats up, it’s a good time to remember the biggest winner of this unique competition" is the Grand Rapid's community, but I disagree. The biggest winner was me.

Artist painting scene of The Last Supper
at entrance to Gerald Ford Museum (I voted for him)
There are over 1,500 pieces of artwork entered into the Artprize competition, but what makes this so much fun is my ability to vote, it's free but you have to go to Grand Rapids to register (smart!). I feel like I am in the driver seat for awarding over $560,000 in cash prizes, including $200,000 for first prize.
I found this sleeping giant fishing by the river (I voted for him).
There is no jury to say this artist-is-in, and this artist-is-out. Everyone is in, and the venues are everywhere. I voted for artwork in a gay bar, a Baptist church, a shoe store, an ice cream shop, a hospital, and the list goes on and on.
I was scared "not" to vote for her, and she was at a church.
Many of the pieces are large scale but many are also small scale, and the venues are negotiated between the artist and the venue host. For example, Kilwins Ice Cream picks their favorite artists and so does the Grand Rapids Art Museum. Everyone has an equal chance at display and at winning the grand prize of $200,000.
Ernest made me pose, but I voted for him.
I made Ernest pose, and I voted for him.
The interactive experience of this artfair is thrilling. It's like American Idol where there is really nothing to sell or buy, but there are lots of commercials. Traditionally, when I think artfair, I think of a booth with pressure to buy something from the poor artist hawking his ware, but this is not about commerce, it's about democracy and philanthropy engaged as one.
It's a pencil drawing, and at the end people will erase it.  I voted for it.
The art is everywhere you look (169 venues), and everytime you think you've seen it all....We'll you've not even come close. I mean, we stayed at the Holiday Inn and there was art in the lobby and on the front lawn. How I possibily voted for 1,427 I am not sure but that's what I counted up, and I did vote for a lot. This is not an art lover event, this is a "fun" lovers event, and my vote cost me nothing but it helped the artist get one step closer to winning one of the ARTprizes ($5,000 to $200,000).
It's Beeswax, and I voted for it.
I'll have to create a Pinterest and Tumblr account for all my pictures. It's insane the number of pictures I've taken. The ones listed here are just the ones where I'm included.
I love Milk Duds, and I voted for it
My favorite venues for artworks included the Calder Plaza where Quincy Owens had his piece "Confessions" which is across the street from the DeVoos Convention Center, which is filled to the maxiimum with artworks.
There were lots of serious themes here, and I voted for this one.
We were there for two nights, and three days (Arrived opening day on Sept. 18), so we could beat the crowds, and the hotel room-rate increases. Over 400,000 people are expected over the 19 days of the ARTprize festival.
Third floor of the contemporary art institute
Upon closer examination on 2nd floor
Yes, I voted for this one too.
There is no reason, that every artist I know shouldn't be part of ARTprize. It's a win for everyone. Congratulations to Grand Rapids, and thanks! I'm looking forward to finding out the winners, but also to returning next year for ARTprize2014. My real vote count? 122, but it seemed like 1,427.
More than 64 ways to vote here.

ArtPrize 2013 from ArtPrize on Vimeo.

Comments