How Jesus Saved the Arts in Detroit

ALPHA OMEGA ARTS
By TAHLIB
The Supper at Emmaus, Rembrandt van Rijn, 1648, oil on mahogany panel. Musée du Louvre, Paris.
Every morning, I begin my day with prayer and then I go searching for the latest art news out of Detroit. It seems that something is happening there everyday that never happens for the Arts anywhere else in America, and I am inspired by it. This week when the Detroit Institute of Arts announced it would raise $100 million for their resurrection---I was amazed. Last week, when the Republican Governor announced a plan to add $350 million atop a Foundation pool of $330 million, I was astounded; and it has been this way for months. No, it has been that way for over two-years and the tipping point was November 20, 2011, when Jesus came to the DIA. The blockbuster hit "Rembrandt and the Face of Jesus" broke attendance records; built goodwill in the city; and led up to a popular vote providing $230 million in operating funds. That is why I say Jesus saved Detroit.



Popular Posts