Abstraction, minimalism, and spirituality in Lulwah Al Homoud’s art

ABOUT HER
By Amrita Singh
I used to draw faces, figures and portraits, but I wasn’t satisfied,” she says. “When I researched Islamic art and geometry, as well as Western artists like Kandinsky, Paul Klee, and Mondrian, I saw how these artists became too spiritual and deep. It’s about abstraction and I think language is abstract as it is. And, I wanted to abstract it more.” In Lulwah Al Homoud’s most recent exhibition at Tabari’s Artspace, titled, “Beyond the Grid”, she showcases a number of large-scale minimalist art pieces that portray geometric forms of optical art. Her inspiration is derived from written language and Arabic calligraphy, which through her body of work, break the rules of traditional geometric patterns, creating new design codes and patterns. [More]

Lulwah Al Homoud