Love and Loneliness: Queering Modernisms in Figurative Painting

MOMUS: Art Criticism
By Joseph Henry
Louis Fratino, "Metropolitan," 2019. © Louis Fratino. Image courtesy of Sikkema Jenkins & Co.
I work on 22nd Street in the Chelsea gallery district of Manhattan, so it was easy to notice the painting. Louis Fratino’s I keep my treasure in my ass (2019) faced the sidewalk through a small foyer of the Sikkema Jenkins & Co Gallery. With his exhibition Come Softly to Me, which ran earlier this spring, Fratino garnered an infusion of critical (and no doubt commercial) attention. Artforum and The Brooklyn Rail took note, building off earlier coverage from The New York Times. This showcasing of queer politics and queer imagery catalyzed a set of critical questions: what does figurative canvas painting do for queer artists? [More]
Louis Fratino, “I keep my treasure in my ass,” 2019. © Louis Fratino. Image courtesy of Sikkema Jenkins & Co.