Marc Jacobs: A Collection for All Seasons

SOTHEBY'S MAGAZINE
Marc Jacobs with Ed Ruscha's "She Gets Angry at Him" (1974) in the foyer of his home. Auction estimate: $2,000,000–3,000,000.
I was always really intimidated by the art world. I grew up in New York City and I spent plenty of nights with Jean-Michel Basquiat, Francesco Clemente, and a lot of the artists who were around in the 1980s. Other than an art survey course in high school, I had no art history knowledge. Around 2000, I went to a show of Mike Kelley at the Whitney. I just knew that I connected to his art for some reason. Later I went to this gallery show of Mike Kelley prints, and I called my friend John Reinhold, a great art collector, and said, “Oh my god, these prints are for sale.” He started teaching me about how one buys art. And so, that was my first purchase. [More]
L.H.O.O.Q. or La Joconde L.H.O.O.Q. or La Joconde Zoom Image Artist: Marcel Duchamp (French, 1887-1968) Date: 1964 (replica of 1919 original) Medium: Colored reproduction, heightened with pencil and white gouache, Edition of 15 of 35 numbered.
Marc Jacobs with Richard Prince's "Untitled (Four Women Looking in the Same Direction)" (1977); photograph by Victoria Stevens. 

Popular Posts